Welcome Guest! You have made 0 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

Rules on Calling Hits

Toonami & Konami
    Jounin

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Earth Release, Steel Release, Fuuninjutsu, Misc. Crafting, Ninjutsu, Ijutsu, Sensory, Kugutsu
    Class: X
    Ryo: 750,000 Ryo

Rules on Calling Hits

Post by Toonami & Konami on Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Topic of discussion: Calling Hits. Presently, in order to call a hit, you must post a warning to the other player(s) and wait up to 48 hours for an edit. Alternatively, if 48 hours have elapsed without response, hits can be called for the previous round.
    Is anyone interested in this rule changing and, if so, how would you like to see it changed?

Stats

• Strength: D
    • Constitution: B
    • Stamina: B
    • Speed: C
    • Coordination: C
    • Intelligence: C
    • Perception: C
    Shin Kazehana
    X-rank
    X-rank

Character File
    Skills & Elements: ALL OF THEM
    Ryo:

Re: Rules on Calling Hits

Post by Shin Kazehana on Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:49 pm

In my personal opinion, yes there are obvious problems with the current rule state. I'll post it here for clarity:

General Site Rules wrote:-If a player describes an action against a character and that action is uncontested, it is referred to as Calling Hits. Calling hits can occur if the player of the targeted character has not posted a response within 48 Hours from the start of their turn. However, if a player fails to properly describe a response to an action in another player's post, that other player is required to notify the player before calling hits. This warning is to be posted in the topic and will initiate a 48 hour timer for which the player to make any necessary edits. Should this time limit elapse or the player consent to the hits, those hits can be called.

This is the part I've always known to be Hit Calling:
    -If a player describes an action against a character and that action is uncontested, it is referred to as Calling Hits.

I agree with this:
    Calling hits can occur if the player of the targeted character has not posted a response within 48 Hours from the start of their turn.
    Makes sense. If there's no reply to an attack within 48 hours, a legit hit connection may be called.

The troublesome part is the red one, in my opinion. It's far too wide.
    However, if a player fails to properly describe a response to an action in another player's post, that other player is required to notify the player before calling hits.

This makes no sense and can be easily abused to get more time to post. Let me illustrate this with an example:

I am role-playing with Nyg. We are having a battle.

First post, Nyg spews a fireball at my character, an attack clearly stated and illustrated in his post.
    In my response, I completely ignore the fireball, don't even mention his attack and instead say my character danced the macarena.

According to the current rules, it then becomes Nyg's responsibility to warn me that I failed to contest the fireball attack and that I have 48 hours to edit my post.
    Ta-da, if I timed my post correctly I just gained up to 48 extra hours to post.
    Well, this doesn't really sound fair. If I was the one who failed to read Nyg's post, why does it have to be his responsibility to warn me? and if Nyg only has 48 hours to post, why do I get up to 96? Time to post is a huge factor and advantage considering how busy some of our lives are.
    Guys let's realize that I don't even need to read Nyg's post in order to do this. I just need to post a reply that completely ignores his attack.

Additionally, this rule almost completely removes one of the main aspects of RPing: the Player factor. The fact that people can make mistakes is a fundamental part of roleplaying.
    Without this aspect of the game, the strongest character will almost always win. It all comes down to who has the bigger guns in the end, and a lot of the excitement of the role-play battle vanishes, in my opinion. Not to mention fights can take a much longer time.

I understand why this rule was put in place.
    You want to prevent people from hiding an attack in the middle of fluff or from using ambiguity in order to attack players who don't even realize they're being attacked.
    We want to prevent fights from turning into player versus player, where the characters involved are irrelevant because one player will be able to trick the other into taking hits using subterfuge.

But with the way the rule currently is, we completely eliminated the Player factor.
    Role-playing should be a mixture of Player and Character factors. By trying to prevent the Player factor from taking over, we completely erased it, and I find that wrong. There has to be a better way.

What I propose is creating a rule that specifically forbids attacks that resort to ambiguity/metaphors.
    That way, if a player feels that they were attacked by one of these, they can appeal to staff and have that specific attack reviewed. And it's really easy to see if an attack classifies as ambiguous/metaphoric. We even have staff who grew as RPers dealing with this kind of attack.

"Oh but if the 20th phrase of the 5th paragraph of a 10k words post clearly states an attack and I missed it, I don't want to lose my character for it."
    Fair enough, understandable. So Billy is a douchebag and hid an attack under a wall of 10,000 words? Well, Go a step further then, and allow players the right to ask their opponents for an OOC note containing all attacks at the end of their post.
    That way, if Billy shows up with a wall of text to hide his attack, you can just ask him to make a list of attacks at the end of his post. Ta-da. No extra time for anyone, no slowing down fights, no douchebag Billy.

Tl;Dr~

No to:
    Players being rewarded with extra time to post for completely ignoring a blatantly obvious attack.

Yes to:
    What I propose is creating a rule that specifically forbids attacks that resort to ambiguity/metaphors.
    Go a step further then, and allow players the right to ask their opponents for an OOC note containing all attacks at the end of their post.
    The Founder
    Admin

Character File
    Skills & Elements: All
    Ryo: All of It

Post by The Founder on Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Requiring every player to notate in bullet points at the bottom what actions were taken in their post could potentially alleviate the burden of a fairly one sided rule and even allow us to remove it altogether.
    The Founder
    Admin

Character File
    Skills & Elements: All
    Ryo: All of It

Post by The Founder on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:23 am

Any more thoughts on this before a decision is reached?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:51 am