Welcome Guest! You have made 50 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

2 posters

Light and Dark

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Iryojutsu, Sensory, Ninjutsu, Raiton, Fuuton, Doton, Jūryoton
    Class: A
    Ryo: Time and Space

Light and Dark Empty Light and Dark

Post by Mitsukira Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:55 am

It was long overdue, and with much apprehension Mitsu knew she finally had to do it.

She had to talk to Chen.

It had been many weeks since the last time she had seen his face or heard his voice. The only correspondence that they’d had was done through letters, which had suited her well enough. Not having to be in the same room, or building, as Chen was probably safer all things considered. The last time they’d shared the same space it had been rather violent. To put it mildly. But with the current state of Iwagakure, they needed to meet and discuss some of the issues that the Village was facing.

So she had arranged for a conference room to be booked and had sent out a message requesting Chen’s presence that evening. Mitsu had specifically chosen the evening to not be putting herself at a disadvantage should she need to fight again, the dimmer light was better suited to her sensitive eyes. She had arrived early and had spent more than an hour pacing around the room and neurotically fiddling with the bowl of fruit in the center of the long table. She had debated where exactly she wanted to sit when he arrived - assuming he did. There was only one entrance to the room which created an escape plan problem. She could sit so that she saw who came through the door, but that put her pretty far away from it should she need to run. On the other hand if she sat closer to the exit, she would end up having her back to the door and would need to rely on her sensory to prepare for any incoming attacks.

‘Why are you worried about attacks? Just relax, nothing has happened in weeks, it’ll probably be fine.’

She sat facing the door.

There were two windows on the wall at her back, so if absolutely necessary she could make her escape that way. As she sat and waited for Chen to arrive she tugged at her white and gold dress, saying silent prayers to the Universe that she could keep her temper in check this time.

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File
    Skills & Elements: All
    Class: X
    Ryo: All of It

Light and Dark Empty Re: Light and Dark

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Light and Dark Nthx08Y

Chen was late. He had no particular reason to be late other than to prove a point. He wanted Mitsukira to know that she was on his time rather than he on her's. He would come to the meeting when he pleased and there was nothing she could do about it. Chen was older now and could leverage his status as Masaru's protege with greater efficiency. It would not be inaccurate to call him a "shadow leader" of sorts. While Mitsukira ran the day-to-day operations of Iwagakure, Chen handled the "night" activities. Crime & Punishment, National Security, Espionage, Mass Manufacturing, and all the other aspects of governance not well suited to the cheerful and optimistic Mitsukira. Chen wrongly thought his role was more important because it often had to do with violence. He refused to recognize the light side of the village's affairs as being just as meaningful as the dark. This belief manifested in occasional displays of disrespect such as the one Mitsukira was now experiencing.

When Chen finally arrived it had been nearly twenty minutes past their scheduled time. The teenager yanked open the door as though it had insulted him. He slammed it shut behind him and took stock of who was in the room. Assuming Mitsukira did not leave due to his tardiness, he'd spy the white-haired kunoichi. A cold but ultimately neutral look was all she'd get from him.

Good. Know your place.

He strode over to the chair seated directly opposite her and sat down. Whereas her clothes were white and gold, his was jet black. They were made of no less fine a material though and even though the tunic carried a foreboding appearance, it was clear that he had taken care to keep them clean and pressed. It had been a long time since they had met face to face and Chen preferred it that way. Mitsukira's ninja philosophy repulsed him and since he could not simply kill her due to political restraints, he was content to keep her out of his focus. After all, the discord between the two of them was born not made.

From the moment he met Mitsukira during the evacuation of the Commonwealth, he found her distasteful. She was an obstacle to his pursuit of power and a distraction to his sensei. She was too kind, too optimistic, too forgiving, and too weak for his military. When Masaru fell into a coma, he had been given a grand opportunity to be rid of her once and for all. Unfortunately, the albino was much stronger than he had anticipated. Arguably stronger than even him although he'd never consider the thought for more than a few seconds. Mitsukira's weakness was in her good nature and he had exploited that fact. He was was able to drive a literal and metaphorical stake of fear deep into her body. Chen would sense the same fear now and it brought him a mild sense of satisfaction. It was the sort of feeling you got when you came home and your possessions were in perfect order. Just the way you had left it and just the way it should be.

One thing Mitsukira might notice about Chen was that he had matured since she last saw him. What was once a prepubescent boy with a mean expression and slicked back hair was now a young man with a mean expression and wavy hair that reached down to his shoulders. He had grown quite a bit and was now possibly taller than her. His shoulders were broader, his voice deeper, and his face had a more developed character to it. Some might even go as far as to say he was a rather handsome lad. He flirted here and there for despite his demeanor, he was still a kid with hormones. He found that the girls his age actually liked his dark persona and the positive attention he received gave him no reason to change. Although, he probably couldn't if he tried, what made it so effective was that he wasn't pretending. He really was full of anger and darkness. Chen crossed his arms and bore a hole into Mitsukira's head with a cold stare.

He said nothing. He had read somewhere that speaking first in a meeting meant that you started off in a subservient position. Instead, he let his eyes do the talking.

Go on then....before I lose my temper....

Stamina: A
    Speed: D
    Coordination: D
    Intelligence: A
    Perception: S
    Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Iryojutsu, Sensory, Ninjutsu, Raiton, Fuuton, Doton, Jūryoton

Post by Mitsukira Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:06 am

Mitsu was not overly surprised that Chen was late. She was the tiniest bit worried, since she knew how important things like protocol, and by proxy most likely timeliness, was to him. So if he was late it could only mean one of two things. The first thing that popped into her mind was that he may have run into some sort of trouble, he could have been set upon by assassins or the like and be lying somewhere in need of help. That thought passed quickly, as she had fought him herself, she fully believed that it would take more than a simple assassin to take out the former Tsuchikage’s protege. Her second idea was that he was attempting to make her suffer, which considering her knowledge of his behaviour seemed incredibly likely. And in a way, he was successful. It wasn’t the waiting that was the problem, she had boundless patience especially for his antics. It was the anxiety that came with the waiting that caused her anguish. She had been dreading this meeting for a while and the idea of having to be alone with the tempestuous youth again.

So she sat there with her hands clasping and unclasping, nervously fidgeting with her clothing and her eyes wandering around the austere room as she attempted to calm her nerves. And this, like every other thing she had attempted in regards to Chen, failed abysmally. As Chen angrily opened the door and then slammed it closed again, Mitsu could not help but jump in surprise at the first noise and flinch at the second. She felt her heartbeat speed up a tick and her breathing became shallower as she watched him walk confidently to the chair across from her and sit down. ‘Okay Mitsu, relax. Just breathe.’ In order to calm herself she studied him for a moment, taking note of his immaculate attire and more distinguished features. It had been quite a while since she’d seen him and she could see that it had been long enough that he’d aged somewhat, and thanks to his choice of clothing now cut a more imposing figure. It didn’t exactly calm her down, but it was at least something to focus on. She was struck by the realization that the two of them could not be more opposite even if they had made a conscious effort to be so. Where she was all light and sparkle, he was dark and shadow. Each a perfect compliment to the other, with neither particularly happy about that fact.

Because he had chosen to be late, it was now even easier for Mitsukira to see him in the dimness of the room. She had pointedly not turned any lights on and was pleased that he had not either, her eyes would glint slightly in the dim as they took in more light as she did one final check to ensure he wasn’t hiding another black spike. Though her eyes were better in dim light, she didn’t rely on them alone and she would activate her Sensory as was common for her now, ever since she’d needed to fear for her life once. Everything within one hundred and twenty five meters was now within her existential view. Once she was satisfied that Chen crossing his arms was merely a gesture and not a movement that preempted an attack she would clear her throat gently and begin to speak.

“Thank you for coming, Chen. You look good, I trust you’ve been well?” Her words were sincere, if tentative. She was thankful he had shown up, he could have just as easily told her no and insisted she communicate via letter as before. And as little sense as it probably made to most, she did care about his well being. Whether he answered her or not was another matter, and she would pause to give him time to speak but would move on quickly should he choose not to. “I’ve returned with Rin Uchiha, though it seems that currently his presence is. . . not required. I was very sorry to hear of Yui falling ill. So many fallen to th-” She didn’t bother finishing her thought, she had long since learned that empathy was lost on Chen and it usually only served to anger him further. From his cold glare it was clear to her that he was already angry, and so making it worse would be. . . well, worse. “While I was in Konoha I was able to acquire a lower debt amount, for the Farfour Accords. We owe, owed one million. I have paid it. So beyond any formalities that some may deem necessary, Iwagakure is no longer a vassal state. To anyone.” The news should have made her happy, it was what she had spent so many sleepless months trying to accomplish. . . but the memory of why that occurred at all was sobering and the only light in her eyes at the joyous news was the light reflected there from the dusk. “That leads me to my next concern. There will be a Kage Summit in the near future, and well, there’s only you and me. Our former Kage fell to the plague, and it seems our newest one has as well. But we need to be represented there, and Chen. . . you should do it.” She didn’t want to have to explain why she thought it should be Chen and not her that went. She doubted she’d have to, Chen was usually quick to notice and point out her failures, so unless he’d had a recent change of heart she thought it likely that he’d agree he was the better choice of the two. She would raise her eyes to meet his, lacing her fingers together on her lap and squeezing them tight to distract herself from her fears while she waited for his reply.

[Activated Sensory - 259.5/260 CP]

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:08 pm

“Thank you for coming, Chen. You look good, I trust you’ve been well?”
    *Silence*

Mitsukira should have known better than to ask a question like that. Perhaps their time apart was giving her delusions about what the status of their relationship was. What was that saying again? Distance makes the heart grow fonder? The thought made him sick but it was nothing another Chakra Receiver to the belly wouldn't fix. Chen found the thought delightful and used it as a source of comfort as he had to endure her inane question. He sat there stone-faced and patiently waited for her to move on. The fidgeting albino continued to give him an update as he sat there and listened. Rin Uchiha had been successfully brought to the village albeit he had recently become a victim of the plague. He would have liked to blame her but the disease was fairly rampant at this point and many had become ill because of it. This fact didn't mean she was off the hook though. Even if it wasn't her fault, that didn't mean he might not try to use it against her when it suited him. She was so easy to manipulate. Especially when it came to the others being hurt.

Still....she actually managed to bring back Rin and apparently she knocked off one million ryo from our tab with Konoha.....I guess she isn't as useless to me as I thought...

It was modest success, but it was something. It was a reason to keep her breathing and with some degree of authority over the village. Now that the reduced debt had been paid off, Iwagakure was now officially an independent nation-state. Masaru's dream of a resurgent and truly free Stone Nation could now be realized. The bitter pill of having to purchase their right to exist was tough to swallow, but swallow it they would. Chen was curious as to why Konoha had made it easier on them. At first, he suspected Mitsukira of giving them some kind of extreme concession but he eventually dismissed that possibility. If she had done that, she'd have confessed to it readily. Chen didn't think Mitsu had it in her to be deceptive when it came to the good of Iwa. The second and more important factor was that Konoha couldn't afford to alienate Iwa. While the two were technically allies under the Farfour Accords, it had become rather obvious that Kumo had a real shot at defeating both the Leaf and Mist. If the war got worse, then whatever leverage they had gained over Iwa would be lost. One million ryo in hand was better than the zero they'd receive if they were beaten badly enough.

He hated the Hokage and that infernal brat of a student of his, but he understood the logic. As Chen ran this mental calculus, he remained quiet and inexpressive. He wasn't even breathing, an ability born from his celestial heritage. The only way you'd know he was alive was through his heartbeat and chakra presence. With the essentials out of the way, Mitsu turned to the real reason she had called him here. The Kage Summit was fast approaching and Iwagakure would need to send a representative. The Dancing Queen volunteered him and for the first time his expression shifted.

He had gone from neutral to visibly annoyed.

"Are you asking me or telling me?"

Mitsukira's response would determine if another "throne-room" like incident was on the horizon.

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File

Post by Mitsukira Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:24 pm

“Thank you for coming, Chen. You look good, I trust you’ve been well?”

Mitsukira should have known better than to ask a question like that. Even if Chen had been well, Mitsu was probably the last person on earth he would divulge that information to. The silence that hung in the air after she asked it was. . . tense. Still, she carried on with her explanation, if you could call it that, of what had transpired during her trip to Konohagakure. Overall she thought it went rather well, he didn’t yell or stab her, or anything. Until her last statement. The light haired woman would cringe with regret at her choice of words and look with apprehension towards the dark haired shinobi.

“I. . . uh, no. I mean yes. Dammit, no I mean. . . Hang on. . .” She stumbled over her words as she scrambled to appease Chen before he grew angrier. She would take a breath and tug nervously at her long hair as she continued at a more even and controlled pace. “What I mean to say is, no I’m not ordering you, if that’s what you meant. I’m sorry for making it seem like that if I did. What I should have said was that I don’t think that I should go, which leaves you as the most logical choice. So, um, yes I’m asking if you would go.” She could feel the sharp pricks of fear along her spine as beads of sweat formed. Her sensory was still active and she was now actively paying attention to Chen’s movements. The muscles in her legs and arms were tensed as she was ready to bolt should he decide that her apology was not good enough.

[Active Sensory = 259/260 CP]

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:37 pm

As amusing as it was to see Mitsukira squirm, he found not being around her to be more enjoyable. So when she began tripping over her words and taking longer to communicate, he grew angrier. He began to clench his fist as she dithered over the simple question of whether she was commanding him or not. The bare fact that the answer wasn't an immediate no was enough to make him want to tear her to pieces. The only thing that stayed his hand was a certain shinobi sleeping in Xīn Zhuān General Hospital. But with each passing month, Masaru's influence waned and with it, Chen's respect for him. One of the main things keeping Mitsu from an early grave was Masaru's shadow. The dimmer it grew, the lower her chances of survival became.

“What I mean to say is, no I’m not ordering you, if that’s what you meant. I’m sorry for making it seem like that if I did. What I should have said was that I don’t think that I should go, which leaves yo-”

Chen raised a hand to indicate she should stop speaking.

"I'm going to say this once Mitsukira. Don't ever give me orders. You are not my superior. I've allowed you to run the village's day to day because the only other people who can are in a coma and you've proven yourself to be not as stupid as I thought you to be"

Mitsukira ought to take this as a compliment. It was a remarkable statement given how much Chen hated her. Giving Masaru's wife credit for anything turned his stomach but it did need to be said. If she thought him capable of praising her then it would only serve as an incentive to continue working hard. Iwagakure may be independent but it was not out of the woods yet. Chen released his anger like a pressure valve and reverted back to his neutral expression.

"Iwagakure needs more than gumdrops and lollipops to stay alive. It needs shinobi like me. So long as you understand that...then we understand each other. We do what we must and things continue smoothly. The night never meets the day and the day never meets the night. The second you presume yourself to be better, is the moment when the darkness swallows you whole...and this time Yui won't be there to save you"

Chen gave a sinister smile. He enjoyed reminding her of that day. It was a mere sample of what he'd give her should she ever let power get to her head. While tormenting her was fun, it was childish and as he grew older he had begun to set aside childish things. She simply wasn't worth his time and so he wanted to wrap this meeting up as quickly as possible.

"As for the Summit....my sensei had established strong ties with this Kensai. I've been to the Land of Iron before. I know the people there. You on the other hand are an incompetent diplomat. Rin was the exception. Konoha must have been truly desperate...or you gave them an offer too good to be true."

There was an edge to Chen's near robotic tone towards the latter sentence. Was he implying she had done something dishonorable with respect to herself or the village? He didn't outright accuse her. If she began bawling like a child then he wouldn't be able to control himself so he strayed from the subject. He did hint at it it though to see how she'd react. It might come in handy should he need to press her later.

"I am indeed the natural choice. But."

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File

Post by Mitsukira Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:40 pm

She had intended to say a good deal more, mostly trying to take her proverbial foot out of her mouth before anything bad happened, but she never got the chance. As Chen raised his hand to signal her to stop speaking, she did stop. Immediately. Mitsu was not willing to chance Chen’s anger and so she would duck her head slightly, still keeping her eyes on him though clearly appearing deferential. She listened as he gave her what was remarkably close to a compliment. It was at least not an insult. Exactly.

After a brief pause and his facial expression returning to neutral, he returned to his usual insults. She would have loved to say that she had grown used to it, but that wasn’t the case. Each new insult somehow hurt more than the last, as though tiny cuts were being made repeatedly in the same spot. Each cut on its own did little, but over time and with enough of them, it was devastating. And his words at that moment were devastating. The trivializing of her methods, the clear warning against interference from her and the reminder of what he was capable of. . .

Mitsukira was an albino. An unfortunate condition she was born with that came with its fair share of physical drawbacks, but manageable all the same. The most notable features were her white hair, white skin and pink coloured eyes. To say she was pale was an understatement. But as Chen promised her a horrifying future that was paired with sinister smile, she grew paler. Her already pale complexion faded and all the colour that could be seen was the light reflected in her eyes as she cowered beneath his gaze. She had no real reason to fear him, she was an accomplished kunoichi, had held her own against him in a fight and she had been less trained then. But that was the problem with doubt, it was insidious. Once it crept in it was nigh impossible to remove, even if you noticed it was there.

She would open her mouth to speak, to promise that she wouldn’t move against him, but no sound came out. All she could do was shake her head slowly as he continued addressing her concern about the Summit. It was plain to see that he was the better choice. While as far as she was aware Chen had not been on any solo diplomatic missions, that still made his track record better than hers. And the fact that he’d been to the Land of Iron before and met both the Shogun and the people of the land was a definite positive. But as he hinted at why Konoha must have been so generous, she found herself squirming under his gaze. She knew exactly why, and because she had to keep it a secret she found talking about it uncomfortable. Mitsu wasn’t comfortable with lying, and even though she had not said anything other than the truth, she hadn’t divulged the whole truth - and that was close enough to a lie to her.

Thankfully he moved on from the subject rather quickly and continued speaking. And then he stopped. She would wait for a few seconds before tentatively asking, “But, what?”

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:01 pm

Chen liked that Mitsukira deferred to him the second he put his hand in the air. This relationship of fear and domination worked well for him. It was the natural order of things and it was what kept relations between them stable. However, the reason Chen was hesitant to go to the Summit was because of two recent developments that might have a negative effect on their mutual understanding. The developments weren't easy to explain, at least not in a way that would maintain Chen's image. He did not wish to appear weak in front of the living embodiment of weakness and so articulating his concerns was a monumental task. He wasn't particularly gifted with words to begin with and having to parse his language carefully for Mitsukira wasn't helping his temperament. The uncertainty on how to communicate was why he had stopped speaking abruptly. The final word he had spoken hung in the air so conspicuously that Mitsu couldn't help but want to know more.

Chen crossed his arms tighter and he shifted his position in the seat. It was reactionary but it was enough to show his discomfort. Before he could appear any more indecisive, he elaborated on the first issue. He'd need to put this in careful terms. "In the aftermath of the war, I got into an altercation with the Hokage's student." A vein popped in Chen's head as he remembered the incident. The bastard Senju had made him look like a fool in front of his own military and he had sauntered off before the promised aid could be delivered. To add insult to injury, he had outed Chen as an Ōtsutsuki. Chen was surprised that Mitsukira hadn't heard about the incident, although perhaps he shouldn't have been. The girl didn't seem like the type to traffic in gossip and slander. Whether or not she was aware of the incident, Chen very well couldn't keep it from her forever and if it would potentially keep him from the Summit, then he'd have to talk about it to some degree. He'd need to put his own spin on it of course. He couldn't have her seeing him as anything less than an unstoppable and unbeatable malevolent force. "He mouthed off and started speaking on things he had no business to speak on. I confronted him and the runt snuck in a cheap shot. End of story." Chen looked Mitsukira in the eyes and dared her to ask a follow-up question. The anger and hatred he expressed would hopefully be enough to dissuade her from prying about the details.

"This runt's name is Ashitaka Senju and if he is close to the Hokage then he might accompany him but even if he doesn't, my presence can cause problems....for Iwagakure especially. Ashitaka knows things about my heritage, where I come from and that might put me at a strategic disadvantage when it comes to negotiating with his sensei."

Chen's status as an alien and the fact that he had been so easily beaten could be a point of mockery. Iwa was already struggling to reclaim its place as an equal among the Great Nations. Sending an extra-terrestrial who had been bested by the Hokage's disciple would be sending a message of weakness. It angered Chen to have to even consider the possibility, but if he went anyways without discussing this possibility then it would only make him look worse if he returned as a laughingstock.

Damage control....

Chen flexed his fingers, ready to attack Mitsu if she laughed at him or disrespected him. The sting of being beaten like a child did not leave him. He'd have his revenge on the Wood Release user one day. Chen hated being helpless. The days when he could do nothing against others with unending power over him still tormented him. It was why he was so sullen and angry all the time.

"Regardless of your incompetence and sickeningly naïve nature....my loss to Ashitaka is a political liability. However, I might have to just bear it and go anyways due to a lack of suitable representatives."

There was another factor that made Chen hesitate. Chen had toyed with voicing it but ultimately he decided against it. He had noticed that he getting tired faster, he had no energy to train and had been stagnant in his growth, he slept longer than he should. They were all tell-tale signs that he might be suffering from the plague. If he collapsed at the wrong moment then it would only hurt Iwa's image. The journey to Land of Iron would not be easy and his personal doctor had advised that he rest. Chen knew that it was the wise thing to do, but he could not disclose his diagnosis to Mitsukira. She'd pity him. She'd lose respect for him. She'd lose the fear. He couldn't have that. The girl was already stronger than she gave herself credit for and if she learned to be more ruthless and less spooked of his aura then he'd be thrown out of power. He couldn't risk it. He might have another representative go in his stead, he might risk the Summit and hope that his illness did not take him out, but if he told her about it right here and now he'd be written off.

Like student....like sensei.....For all her professed love of Masaru I wonder if she is still has the same awe that she did when she first met him. I know I don't.

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File

Post by Mitsukira Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:31 pm

As she asked her question Mitsu held her breath, she was afraid that she had missed something subtle. That by asking ‘but, what?’ it not only made her seem more stupid, but would also anger Chen. And as he crossed his arms and shifted, she noticed something that she hadn’t before. Chen’s anger appeared to be defensive. Mitsu was genius level smart, but being intelligent was not the same as being wise. And while she had more than enough information in front of her to conclude what the real issues were; her fear of Chen and core beliefs surrounding the Universe had often stopped her from seeing the whole picture.

She relaxed just a tiny bit as Chen spoke of his run in with the Hokage’s student. Mitsu wasn’t surprised to hear it, she had seen how he’d handled the evacuation. It seemed that he couldn’t help but butt heads with, well, everyone. Despite what Chen thought of her, Mitsu was not a complete idiot, and as he silently dared her to challenge his story she kept silent. Whether he was telling the whole truth or not did not matter to her, what mattered was that Chen was willing to tell her that he had failed. It did not make her think less of him, in fact it did quite the opposite. In that short story he had relayed she saw hope. Hope for him and his future. Being willing to admit a loss or failure - especially in front of someone he obviously hated - was remarkably healthy and mature. Though as much as she wanted to smile and praise him for his efforts, to validate his experiences in the hopes of encouraging his continued journey of self discovery. . . She knew well enough not to push it.

She furrowed her brow as Chen mentioned his ‘heritage’. She wasn’t exactly sure what he meant by that, she assumed that he meant he was not native to Iwagakure, just as she wasn’t. It was something she hadn’t thought of before and now that he’d mentioned it, it left another puzzle for her to solve. She was originally from Sunagakure, just as Chen was. She wondered how it would look to have either of them representing a nation they were not born to. And then she was struck with an idea. An idea that hopefully would not land her in the hospital, or worse.

“I am not the best one to send, we’ve said that already. And you. . . it may be problematic I suppose. But there is someone that is both native to the Land of Earth and an accomplished shinobi of Iwagakure. Have you heard of Shin Muramatsu?”

Her words were confident, her tone was not. She had noticed his slight movements, the anger and hatred in his eyes. She silently prayed to the Universe that Chen would not take her suggestion as a slight against him. She kept her sensory active and made a quick check of her available paths to any exits. . . just in case.

[Active Sensory - 258.5/260 CP]

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:00 am

Mitsukira hadn't mocked him for admitting his defeat which was a wise decision on her part. Chen was already angry at her for existing so one could imagine what he would do if she actually provoked him. The fact that she relaxed a bit was not missed by him and he took it as a slight against his image. Whether she cared to admit it or not, she was less afraid of him. He'd need to remedy that. He couldn't do it right here and now. They did have sensitive business to discuss and if he tried to pay her back immediately it would only make him look weaker. She was also probably expecting him to lash out and she was no slouch when it came to self-defense. If he truly wished to hurt her, he'd need to bide his time. Chen remained stoic though and even his defensive discomfort melted away as he reverted to his base emotion: Indifference.

He listened as she pitched a new solution. A shinobi by the name of Shin. Chen matched her furrowing of the brow as he tried to work out how someone like her would know someone like Shin. Shin was indeed an excellent choice. He was only a genin but he was fiercely intelligent and his level of ruthless was in keeping with Masaru's vision of Iwagakure. The Muramatsu could be given instructions or could be coached on how to approach the meeting and he'd successfully represent their interests. Chen had seen how the young man operated. The pair had brutally massecered a den of drug dealers together and it was the closest thing to a bonding experience that Chen would allow. Shin was efficient and without a shred of mercy. A model for Iwagakure Nin across the country.

Why would Mitsukira know a genin like that by name?

He considered asking even though he knew he may not like the answer. Chen said nothing in response to her suggestion. Instead, he would let her squirm as he stared at her in silence. He decided to feign ignorance. He hated appearing to lack knowledge but since it served a greater purpose, he opted to do it as part of his strategy.

"No"

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File

Post by Mitsukira Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:42 pm

Mitsu was more than a little worried as she proposed the idea of Shin and Chen said nothing. She couldn’t even tell if he was angry with her for the suggestion, he just stared at her for a while until she began to fidget again. And then finally he spoke, but only a single word; No. And for just a second she thought she’d messed up somehow, that Chen would take her opinion of Shin as a personal attachment rather than a sound military choice. And the truth was, it was both. She wasn’t trying to hide it, but she didn’t think it would help, so she kept her friendship with Shin off the table for the moment.

Mitsu was somewhat surprised, but also more relieved that he wasn’t angry that she didn’t look too hard at Chen’s answer. She would lean forward a bit and place her hands on the conference table in front of her while she chose her words carefully. “He is a very competent shinobi, he was the hardest worker and largest contributor to the missions necessary to raise the money necessary to pay off our debt to Konoha. Were it not for his efforts we would still be in debt. I’ve read all the mission reports and I am impressed with his dedication and efficiency. He is one of three that I have formed into an official Squad, and I am equally impressed with his performance there.” She would wait to see what Chen thought of her assertions before continuing. She knew that her opinion on things mattered very little to the dark haired young man, so she was careful to present facts over feelings. The mission reports were undeniable, as Shin had single handedly earned the ryo necessary for the final payment to Konoha.

[Active Sensory - 258/260 CP]

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:22 pm

Chen stared as Mitsukira fidgeted in her seat. After an uncomfortably long silence, the timid administrator finally spoke up. She explained that Shin was a skilled shinobi. She described him as efficient and hard-working, two traits that Chen found to be believable characteristics of the genin that he had worked with. He hadn't known him long but those few minutes inside the drug dealer's den had given him a glimpse into Shin's psyche and he liked what he saw. If Shin was taking missions left and right so as to pump Iwa's economy, it made sense that Mitsukira would know who he was. She was a glorified paper-pusher and if a flood of positive reports came across her desk then she'd know about it.

She should have stopped there.

When Mitsukira mentioned that he was one of the three shinobi that she had selected to form an official Squad with, Chen bristled. A squad? Why would Shin join a squad with her?! Chen was annoyed and he showed it only but for a split second before reverting to his base expression of indifference. He did not want to let on that he knew about Shin or what the genin was capable of. Why would Mitsukira agree to train someone so ruthless....he showed no mercy during our mission. He never balked at the possibility of killing civilian chemists and workers back in the den....Does she know who she's training? Or is this another one of her nauseating pet projects? To turn effectove killers into pacifists.... Chen could have spat in disgust but instead he picked a speck of imaginary lint off his cloak.

"The fact that you have selected him for your Squad calls his competence into question. I wouldn't trust any genin in your care...let alone the future representative of Iwagakure no Sato."

Chen let the sentence hang in the air. He wanted her to know how much of a failure she was.

"Nevertheless....I don't take you for a bold-faced liar. So if you say he has successfully completed enough missions to make a dent in our debt then he's worth looking into. I will pull his file and his reports myself. If I find them satisfactory, then we can agree to send him. If you have developed a habit of embellishing or telling tales......."

Chen didn't need to communicate the rest of the threat.

"If we do decide to send him then its because he really is the best one for the job in which case he is due for a promotion regardless. I would like to see him bumped to Chuunin before he is sent. One more thing, when he gets back...stop training him. A Chuunin shouldn't be taught by the likes of you. I don't want you spoiling any talent he may have. Do not tell him why....just say that a decision has been made and until further notice he is off your squad."

It was a serious bomb to drop on her head. It served several purposes: first, it would give him insight into how close they were as sensei-student, if Mitsukira gave Shin up without a fight even against someone she feared, then she really did not deserve to school him; second, if she abided by Chen's restriction then it would give him a chance to meet and talk with Shin, he was curious how someone so ruthless and right-minded could suffer to be around a total airhead. Is he using her?!; third, it opened up the possibility that Chen might be able to turn Shin against her, if the two stopped training together without her telling him why, it'd drive a rift between them and Chen could use that as leverage against Mitsukira or he could turn Shin into an ally for his own agenda. The young goth was playing four-dimensional chess whereas the woman sitting across from him was playing checkers. However, Chen had underestimated the fiery spirit of the Dancing Queen before in battle. Would his ultimatum prove to be the second mistake of the same species?

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File

Post by Mitsukira Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:13 pm

As Chen’s face flickered with annoyance for a split second, Mitsu knew she had volunteered too much information. And she was once again reminded of the precariousness of her position within Iwagakure when Chen decided to comment on her choice of squad members. He at least did not seem to care that she had formed a squad, merely who she had decided to appoint to it. She couldn’t disguise the hurt on her face as he pointed out that due to her own actions she had potentially sullied the reputation of Shin. With Chen anyway. She knew nothing she did was good enough for him; she could not act or make decisions, move or even breathe without a cold glare or a hateful smile from the dark haired goth.

She let the comment slide, she was not interested in further angering the stab happy young man, and she would bite her lip to keep herself from talking. She knew she wasn’t lying. She had never once lied. . . well once. It was an omission of the truth, but to her that was tantamount to the same thing. When she had told a sleeping Masaru about the events in the throne room, she had specifically left out any details regarding Chen stabbing her. She knew well enough that as much as she feared Chen, Masaru would make him suffer a thousand fold for his actions - whether he deserved it or not.

If he ever woke up.

The lie she had told seemed pointless now. It had been well over a year now since Masaru had fallen to the plague and there were no signs that he was recovering. She had been grieving him for so long that it was almost as though he had passed away, and not merely in a coma. It had been all panic and passion at first, constantly at his bedside tending to him. And when she wasn’t there she was searching for some cure. She had dedicated a significant portion of her training to the medical arts in the hopes of finding something, anything.

But he never came back.

And she knew that without him there as a constant threat looming over Chen’s head, her days were numbered. So when he not so subtly accused her of lying, she was glad to have already been biting her lip. Or out of her mouth would have flown a self righteous retort. As cowed as she was by Chen, she still had core beliefs, and just like anyone else when those were challenged it stung and inspired her to action. Her fingers gripped her skirt and a very light blush would spread across the bridge of her nose. ‘No, Mitsu. He’s just trying to get a rise out of you, and that’s alright. Just focus on something else.’ She took her own advice and saw the bowl of fruit between them on the table, and a particularly delicious looking red apple. Reaching out she would pluck the apple from the arrangement and cradle it in her palms near her face with her elbows on the table. She listened to Chen as she was mindful of the weight of the fruit, it’s texture and temperature, what it might taste like. . .

“What?”

Mitsu dropped the apple as she exclaimed aloud without thought. She just stared at him as a series of loud ‘thumping’ sounds was heard from the discarded apple. It bumped it’s way across the table, the noise it made ever increasing in tempo as gravity forced it to the lowest available point and to stillness. It wasn’t until the apple had fallen to the floor and rolled off into a corner that Mitsu could finally gather herself enough to speak words.

“No.”

There was no way she was going to let this stand. Shin was her only friend. She wouldn’t lie to him as Chen suggested. Chen probably didn’t think he was suggesting a lie, but she knew better. She was also unconvinced that she was not well suited to teaching Shin. It was a strange dynamic to be sure, though she was not exactly a fresh genin. Here she was, but she suspected that her current military rank was more out of spite and a desire to further humiliate her than any accurate assessment of skill. She doubted Chen even knew that she was actually a Jounin, and that the most ironic part of it all was that in her home country - Chen’s home country - she outranked him. These were all facts that she was aware of, but they were not her main concern. For now her main concern was Shin’s future.

She had set her jaw and was now defiantly staring him down. Her glowing, reflective eyes meeting his dark ones. With her mind made up, as stupid as a decision as it may prove to be, she fought for Shin.

“I will not give him up. Do what you want with me, you have taken nearly everything else. But I will not do what you ask. He deserves to be on a squad. Who are you to try to take that from him? He will be promoted, attend the Summit and he will remain on my squad. I do not know what fills you with such anger, but if you absolutely must channel your anger Chen, then channel it to me. But leave Iwa’s people alone.”  

She knew what she was doing, there were no illusions in her mind that Chen would suddenly have a change of heart. She was willing to accept any mistreatment if it meant that Shin would not become the subject of Chen’s cruel machinations. As always, she never fought for herself; Mitsu fought for those she loved.

[Active Sensory - 257.5/260 CP]

Dancing Queen:
    Chen Kimyōnakama
    Chen Kimyōnakama

Character File

Post by Chen Kimyōnakama Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 pm

Chen was rather pleased to see that his comment had hurt Mitsukira's feelings. The goth's goal was to make her feel inadequate and incompetent. While he was often needlessly cruel, he actually had a specific objective in mind. He wanted Mitsukira to believe she was unfit to train Shin. If he could put the idea in her head that she wasn't strong enough to train Shin then maybe she'd stop trying out of consideration for the Murmatsu's own development. He was essentially preying on her good nature and using it against her. As he elaborated though, it became clear that he wasn't doing a good enough job holding her attention.  Is she even listening to a word I'm saying? Chen felt his anger rise as Mitsukira started picking at the fruit bowl in front of them. When he dropped his tactical nuke, however, he got the reaction he was looking for.  "You heard me" he said in response to her retort. The demand was at its core a test. An attempt to gauge how hard she was willing to fight for her students, how comfortable she felt defying Chen since their last encounter, and how easily he could re-asset his dominance.

The abrupt "No" she gave was unexpected. Mitsukira wasn't a combative person by her nature so if she were to resist, he figured it would be by pleading, asking questions, and trying to reason with him. The fact that she wouldn't even entertain his order caused him to narrow his eyes and tilt his head as though she had just spoken to him in a foreign language. However, his annoyed gaze would be matched with equal drive by the Dancing Queen. This was a first. Even back in the throne room, Mitsukira had been more frightened and pliant. He was losing the fear.

That made him angry.

Like a smoldering flame being doused with gasoline, Chen's hatred for the woman and all she stood for began to rage in his spirit. Either the relationship between the two of them was far deeper than he had initially realized, or more likely, his worst fears had been realized. She thought him weak. Powerless. A young boy no longer worthy of her respect or attention. The shift had begun ever since he had nearly been knocked out by her in battle and was accelerated by his own admission of weakness at this very meeting. It never occurred to him that Mitsukira truly wanted to protect Shin. He saw her defiance as a slight against his authority and power. Chen knew what happened when people lost respect for you. You were either the predator or the prey and he had spent far too long living as the prey. Never again. Chen leapt out of his chair so suddenly than it fell over. He knocked away the fruit bowl that sat in front of them and sent its contents spilling across the ground. No distractions. You WILL hear me this time. Chen leapt across the table. He wasn't particularly fast or agile in comparison to other shinobi, but it was just a regular conference table and so he was able to clear it without much trouble. Chen was now standing directly beside Mitsukira's right.

He slammed both hands down on the table and leaned in until their faces were mere inches apart. "I see sucking up to Yui and Masaru has you barking like the little bitch you are."  Chen had never cursed at Mitsukira like that before. It might seem like an insignificant line to cross, but it was rather meaningful. He despised her and everything she stood for, but she was a kunoichi in his village and she was married to his sensei. There were certain things he could not and would not say to her as a matter of respect. That was gone now for she had committed a grave sin against him. Mitsukira was the only person he had met that was afraid of him to such an extent. She took him seriously. She obeyed him. She didn't see him like a vulnerable little boy, but as a young man whose word was as unbreakable as the Will of Stone. It was perversely the greatest gift he had been given by anyone, arguably even Masaru. Now he was going to lose that just like he lost his sensei. "Let me explain this so that you understand" there was a trembling hatred in his voice. She had asked him to channel his anger towards her and now she was going to face the full brunt of it. "You don't get to refuse me on this. Shin is apparently one of our most promising shinobi and I won't have you fuck up his progress with your bullshit nindo. This isn't just for his own good.....its a matter of national security which is my jurisdiction. You will NOT train him and if you think I'm going to let you disrespect me a second time then I think its time you see what I'm really capable of...." Chen would be desperately searching Mitsukira's face for a sign as to whether he had stolen back the fear that was rightfully his. He needed it to survive. If he could not get the weakest Iwa-Nin to listen to him, then what good was he? What had Masaru spent years training him for? Was it all just a waste? Was he the same orphaned runt that the Tatsudashi had picked up on the outskirts of Tsuchi no Kuni? Chen needed to know where he stood and he could only surmise it by Mitsu's expression. Knowing her, she was probably going to try and look away. She might make herself smaller, try to get out of the chair, or take some other non-confrontational or evasive action. If she tried to get up, he'd shove her back down and if she looked away, he'd shout "Don't turn away!" even going so far as to attempt an underhanded grab of her jaw so that he could pull her face towards him.

If and when Mitsukira looked at her husband's one and only disciple, she'd see the hatred and desperation in his eyes. It was the look of someone possessed. Chen knew what it was like to be frail and at the mercy of others. He was willing to do anything to never have to feel that way again. He would hurt anyone and destroy anything. Mitsukira's defiance represented a return to the past to him. A past that was too painful for him to confront. He'd rather die. Chen was breathing hard now and it took all of his willpower not to strike Mitsu down right then and there. He wanted to hurt her, but he knew that now was not the time nor place. There were witnesses in the building and if he started a fight in the middle of the country against a presumably well-liked kunoichi, then it would be the end of his career. Chen's loss to Ashitaka was humiliation enough for the country. He had enemies that would love nothing more than to throw out a weak alien invader. There would be no trial and no opportunity to present a justification. Not that one existed anyways. Iwa had just received its independence and was trying to demonstrate on the world stage that it was a stable sovereign. They couldn't afford a Civil War to break out just before the Summit. Iwa had also already lost two leaders to the plague. It had been a blow to their sense of cohesion, but they had managed. If he faltered now then they could kiss that blessing goodbye. The village would not survive his off-brand coup attempt and so he was left with no choice but to restrain himself. "You haven't seen me angry yet Mitsukira. I will take everything that you love and turn it into ash. Don't you ever disobey a direct order from me. For Masaru's sake, I'll give you a chance to reconsider. If Shin isn't off your squad before the Summit ends....there will be consequences"

Chen would then back off from the sweet albino and stomp off in the direction of the door. On his way out, he'd punch the wall with all his might. The act barely left a dent but his knuckles were bruised and bloody. It hurt but that was good. It kept his composure. Chen had always been filled with passive disgust for the world around him but this was one of the few times where that disgust ran red hot. It was uncomfortable and the pain gave him something else to focus on other than his emotions. He stormed out of the room and slammed the door behind him. He'd leave Mitsukira alone with her thoughts and with his threats.

[Exit]

Mitsukira
    Mitsukira

Character File

Post by Mitsukira Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:23 pm

Mitsukira’s defiance had never once ended with her in a better spot than she had been previously. And this situation with Chen was no different. It didn’t matter if she was right or wrong. It didn’t matter if standing up for Shin was the right thing to do. It didn’t matter if her offer to accept Chen’s anger was noble or brave. Ideals and intentions were wonderful, they were the things that fueled her eternal optimism, that gave her the one thing that Chen seemed to hate more than anything else about her.

Hope.

But hope wouldn’t save her. The difference between an ideal and an action couldn’t have been more palpable than in the moment that Chen knocked away the bowl of fruit and leapt over the table towards her. She had had her sensory active, she had been terrified of some sort of retaliation or continued aggression from their last in person meeting. But she had been expecting him to use chakra, so when he didn’t, she was not prepared. Her eyes went wide with fright and she flinched. During their last encounter she hadn’t been afraid of him, she had not doubted his strength or competence, but she naively believed she knew what he was capable of. She had believed that even if he was angry or threatening that he wouldn’t go too far. That he wouldn’t try to kill her. Now that she actually knew that he absolutely would kill her if he was given the chance, she was petrified. Chen was hatred embodied, she could see it in his eyes as they flashed, hear it in his voice as it trembled with guttural rage. As he slammed his hands down on the table and leaned in she tried to get up, only to be shoved back into her seat. A quiet and pitiful ‘Please, no. . .’ was all she could utter as she suddenly felt completely helpless. She couldn’t find the strength to fight back and memories of how he had hurt her before made her fear further punishment.

Mitsukira was strong, much stronger than Chen. But she didn’t know it. Part of what determined strength was a person’s will, and in regards to Chen, hers was all but broken. As she sat and shook with fear beneath his hateful glare she felt her skin crawl with goosebumps, pricks of sweat agitating her along her spine and scalp. She felt her mouth go dry and heart beat with panic. All while memories of their time in the throne room washed over her, tearing away the foundation of resolve she had built like a tsunami. To her credit even though she was truly afraid for her life she did not turn from Chen, at least not right away. She tried to keep looking at him as uncomfortably close as they now were. She wanted to run away, to push him aside and head for the door. She wanted to run all the way back to the desert and leave the Land of Earth behind.

But as he began swearing at her she knew, if she tried to run now she wouldn’t make it. Chen was many things, and had been cruel to her in ways that might make the cursing seem insignificant. But he had made it clear on many occasions that she was afforded certain respects because of her position in the village - most specifically because of her marriage to Masaru, Chen’s Sensei. As that realization dawned on her, carried on the wings of the word ‘bitch’, tears began pouring down her face. She was not sad. These were not the mournful tears of grief or melancholy. This was pure terror, these were streams of emotion that with no other outlet began to flow unbidden in response to the man’s fury. The invisible line of protection she had been safely hiding behind was now gone, she realized, if Chen was willing to speak to her like this. . .

She tried to turn away then.

She tried to turn away only to feel his hand wrap under her jaw and pull her back to look directly at him. His roared command was met with a shuddering gasp as she tried to choke back the emotions that threatened to overtake her common sense. She listened as best she could, spending most of her energy resisting the urge to flee or make any movements that he might interpret as hostile. As miserable and terrified and lonely as she was; she was not suicidal. She wanted to live, she believed that the Universe had better and brighter plans for her and were she to die she would never see them actualized. So she didn’t speak and she tried not to move. Looking into his eyes she could see that he was beyond reason and that with that sort of furious desperation there was no telling what might push him further.  

As he assured her that she had not yet seen him angry, she believed him. Her hands were on her lap, clutching at her skirt while she continued crying, trying to suppress her sobs by biting down on her lip. Her shoulders heaved as her breathing quickened, her heart beating so loudly that she was sure he could hear it. Mitsu was aware that she must look like prey, she felt like prey beneath his fiery gaze. She had heard legends of great monstrosities that consumed all in their paths, creatures from the depths that seemingly without rhyme or reason struck down those unfortunate enough to be the subject of their wrath. She saw a man consumed by hatred; a man possessed. As he growled at her she couldn’t help but feel herself try to physically shrink from him, it was subtle but he would undoubtedly notice.

His threat of consequences did not need to be elaborated on. She understood now that as long as they both remained in the same place, one of them would have to bend. And she could see it wouldn’t be him. She knew she would have to bend, or risk being broken. Mitsu let out the breath she had been holding as he moved away from her, holding it again as she watched him punch his fist into the wall and slam the door behind him. For a brief second all was quiet in the conference room as the frightened woman sat and stared at the faint trace of blood where Chen’s fist had just been. Mitsukira’s hands moved from her lap to her sides as she wrapped her arms around her torso and slumped over as she broke down, her pain wracked sobs filling the silent space. She stayed like that for a long while, until outside was full dark and she had cried so much that her tears were dry. Crawling down onto the floor from the chair she sat on she would move slowly around the room collecting the fallen and now bruised fruits. She could see easily in the dark, and it was the only comfort she had, the blanket of darkness to hide her shame and terror. Her hands shook and she dropped the apples and pears more than once in her efforts to bring some semblance of order back to the room. Each time she would drop one her tears would form anew, and each time she cried she tried to push away her fear. She had believed she was doing the right thing, standing up for Shin. But now she wasn’t sure. Was she willing to die for that belief? Her thoughts swirled and darkened as time wore on, until eventually she found herself curled up in a corner of the room staring with empty eyes at the bowl of fruit, thinking how much like it she was. Something once beautiful and pristine, now battered and bruised while it sat forgotten in an empty room.  

[Exit Thread]

Dancing Queen:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 11:09 pm