Welcome Guest! You have made 50 posts!

Join Our Discord! : Here After high demand from everyone, we've finally opened a Discord Chat Server for the site!
We are an AU Naruto Roleplay Forum!

2 posters

Off for a Walk

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Village : Minor Nation

Character File
    Skills & Elements: Katon, Kenjutsu, Iryojutsu
    Class: A
    Ryo: My only wealth is Aihi

Off for a Walk Empty Off for a Walk

Post by Kiyoko Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:27 am

Continued from here.

Kiyoko was starting to see the truth in Oda’s words. He at least wasn’t the young teenager he appeared to be, not in the way he carried himself. Or in the way that he spoke; he had a solid understanding of the responsibility he carried as his clan’s leader. Something she didn’t expect could simply be learned by rote. Not that she would know. Her clan was lost to time, she had only the barest memories of her village, her lands and worst of all her family name was long gone. While she still held out hope that she would see her parents again, that light of hope dimmed with each passing day.

With a quick shake of her head she forced her focus to return to the present just in time to see a happy wave and a smile directed at Oda as they walked by. It warmed her heart a little to see it; the faces were so worried, or concerned. Maybe not something she could peg down as actual fear, but close enough to make her uncomfortable. While she had worked her whole life on her chosen skills in order to be taken seriously, she had never wanted anyone to fear her.

She would nod as Oda spoke of establishing relations with the Shogun, it was a wise decision. Kensai had come here to rebuild, and part of that she suspected was ensuring the clans felt safe and were able to grow knowing they would be protected. She made a mental note to bring this idea up with the Shogun the next time she had the opportunity. “I believe the Shogun would welcome such relations. From what I have observed he is intent on building the Land of Iron back up to its former strength and beyond.”

With a polite bow to the man sitting outside Oda’s home she would make her way towards the door at his second invitation. The thought of a warm house and hot tea was enough to dissuade her from musings of leaving. Standing next to Oda as they had walked here was enough to ward off frostbite, but she’d been in the cold long enough that she still felt chilled to her core, even if she was unwilling to admit it out loud. Kiyoko would raise an eyebrow at the ‘more normal’ comment, she supposed he meant the heat - but that was far from the thing that made him less normal. She was currently standing in a village that was filled with people who could be hundreds of years old for all she knew, it hardly seemed like anyone here was ‘normal’. An awkward grin accompanied her bow of thanks as she made to follow him in. “My thanks again Lord Oda. I’m curious, perhaps you could share your thoughts on your plans with the Lord Shogun?”

(50 exp)
    Oda
    Oda

Off for a Walk Empty Re: Off for a Walk

Post by Oda Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:50 pm

Oda would lead her to a small sitting area. Large enough for his family to all sit together comfortably around a long rectangle black wooden table. A series of kneeling pillows were set around it and Oda would settle down on one with small burning flowers stitched into it. He would indicate the position across from himself as he set his sword down beside him. Within his home he had no need for it. But having it close still was a comfort to him. A young lady with short red hair would enter the room and blink once or twice. Pushing her large round glasses back up her nose with one finger before looking to Oda with a question in her eyes. "My dear sister Mari, please, prepare some jasmine tea for our guest here. And if I could press further, please bring her something of yours to wear so she can be warm outside. Thank you." His sister would huff at him but wouldn't argue. Instead she would march off to the kitchens. He was to be obeyed it seemed. Still he would take a breath before smiling as his pearl white eyes would settle back on the woman across from him.

She would pose a question about his intentions with the Shogun and he would tilt his head. As if in thought about it. The house itself was warm. In the corner of the room was a furnace burning for the rest of the family since he had been gone earlier. For now it was uncomfortably warm when combined with him. However for someone still mostly frozen it would be like standing next to an open oven on a cold winter day. Relief at least. Still he would speak in return to her. His voice calm as usual. "This is my home but as I said we barely get by. We are one tragedy away from going hungry or dealing with loss. Scraping by is not a healthy way to live. I have offered my blade to the Shogun to serve him. In return I suspect his building of an empire will raise my own clans standing. I intend to make a clan compound closer to the village itself. Placing us under the protection of the village and allowing us to thrive and trade. This will not be an easy task but I have never been known to shy from a little effort."

Renown:
    Ryo: 670,000
    Stats:
    • Strength: C
      Constitution: B
      Stamina: S
      Speed: C
      Coordination: B
      Intelligence: D
      Perception:  B

Link to Character Updates: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3726-hinode-oda-updates
    Link to Character Application: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3725-hinode-oda
    Link to Known Techniques: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3726-hinode-oda-updates
    Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:35 am

Kiyoko followed after Oda into his home, it was thankfully very warm, warm enough that she was sure to get feeling back into her fingers and toes before long. She desperately wanted to rush over to the furnace in the corner, the seeming source of the warmth, and stand there until the stinging and tingling had gone. But she wouldn’t, it would seem self serving and as she was here as a guest she would take the offered seat across from Oda’s. She didn’t like the idea of removing her weapon, least of all in a place she had not determined was without threat, however she considered that it would probably be rude not to follow the example of her host and so she lay Redemption on the ground beside her.

Had Oda not referred to the red haired girl as his sister, Kiyoko would never have guessed their relation or if they had any at all. She would politely place her attention on observing the home so as to give the family exchange some privacy, she didn’t want to pry into their affairs. She did almost point out that she was small enough that a kitchen towel would probably do the trick, but decided against it. Refusing a gift would also be rude and so she sat there torn between doing what was proper and doing what was practical. It was a horrible position to be in, and one that she didn’t much enjoy but she knew she would have to become practiced in it as she continued her duties to the Shogun. When Oda turned his attention back to her and smiled she attempted to smile in return, no doubt it looked fairly awkward as smiling was not something she usually did. She made a mental note to practice smiling in the mirror at some future time, so that it felt and hopefully looked more natural.

As the clan leader spoke of his intentions for his clan and his own future with the Shogun, Kiyoko would nod approvingly. “Worthy goals indeed Lord Oda, I expect that your plans will be well received. I do know that if you wish it you will not need to do these things alone; I would like to offer my assistance such as it is. I am no master craftsman, but I know my way around a few tools. It is the least I can do to repay your hospitality.” In truth she was excited about the prospect of a clan compound in Tetsumura, the plan Oda spoke of made the future seem bright and hopeful. It spoke of a strong and united people that she very much wanted to be a part of.  

(60 exp)
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:51 pm

Oda would listen as she sat there across from him. His pale white eyes seemed to regard her with a hint of intelligence behind them. As she sat across from him his red headed little sister appearing to be about the age of twelve maybe would enter the room with a simple wooden tray. Even their teapot was simple with clay cups. She would set it down between them and huff at her words before placing her fists on her hips. Speaking in a rough tone that suggested she was borderline hostile. "Please! Don't go encouraging his fool head now. The clan doesn't want to move next to anywhere. We are safe down here. Bad enough that he brought an outsider here! If you want my opi- " She was cut off by the sound of a fist crashing down on the table. The tea shaking but not spilling. She would jump a little before turning to glare at her brother. Remaining quiet as she stared him down. However Oda would speak in return to her. "If you can not keep a civil tongue in your head, you are more suited to helping your brothers with the last of the chores. Away with you now."

His sister would huff indignantly but she would stomp off out of the room and slam the door on her way out. If one listened they could hear a soft chuckle outside from the man on the porch. The father clearly amused by his children. Was he listening perhaps? He didn't seem to have anything to add as he smoked on the long stem and made smoke rings. He had learned long ago it was better to listen than to speak. One learned more that way. Oda however was the clan leader for now. His family seemed to hold some respect for that. Still he would lean forward and quietly pour Kiyoko some tea. Than he would attend to his own cup. Steaming hot green liquid that smelled rather pleasant. It would do her fingers some good to hold the cup and the warm liquid would be good to warm her. "My sister is a little hot headed as she is young. Merely twenty years old. She has been taught to fear the outside world. I would have that changed for our young. I would not have us scrape by down here in hiding like mice. We are lions and we should act like it. Fear not we will still clothe you. Once you entered our home you became our responsibility. No refusing now. Aside from that, what I seek to do is first, gain the Shoguns approval. Second I will need a plot of land and third a reliable construction crew that won't rip us off and abandon us to the cold. Does any part of that seem plausible for you to help with?"

Renown:
    Stats:

Link to Character Updates: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3726-hinode-oda-updates
    Link to Character Application: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3725-hinode-oda
    Link to Known Techniques: https://gladiusnarutorp.forumotion.com/t3726-hinode-oda-updates
    Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:11 am

Kiyoko was excited for tea. Just the thought of a cup of hot tea was almost enough to take the chill out of her, almost. When Mari came carrying a tray Kiyoko would nod appreciatively to her, expecting nothing more than tea in return. Mari had other ideas. Her outburst was shocking to Kiyoko, she’d not had siblings and so she couldn’t be sure if this was typical or if there was actually a problem. What she was sure of was that it had been some time since anyone had addressed her with so much. . . energy. She would sit there quietly regarding the girl, waiting for the opportunity to speak when she heard the distinct sound of a fist crashing onto the table. Instinctively she would place her hand onto the hilt of her blade as sudden noise usually meant trouble that required a sword.

The dynamic between the two siblings was intriguing, she wasn’t certain where the respect for his position as clan leader began or ended. There seemed to be a moderate amount of rivalry, or at least rebellion in the girl, which Kiyoko didn’t agree with but said nothing of as their family was none of her concern. Only once the girl had stormed off and the room was quiet again did Kiyoko return her hand to her lap. Looking over at Oda she realized that she had perhaps been alone and on the run for too long, he seemed perfectly well pouring tea, there was not a hint of violence or distress and she silently chastised herself for her overreaction.

Accepting the tea she held the cup firmly in her frozen hands, delighting in the warmth it provided. She had thought of a million things to say and discarded all of them, her tongue usually got her into more trouble than it was worth. A sincere, “Thank you” was all she would utter until he chose to speak again. She did wonder at the girl’s outburst though, she was clearly unhappy both with the decision to move the entire clan nearer to Tetsumura and with Kiyoko’s presence in their home. Understandable perhaps for a people so used to be mistreated, but concerning nonetheless.

When Oda spoke again she was relieved, visiting was not her strong suit and she had no idea what to say to fill the silence. The promise of clothes evoked a subtle shake of her head, her meaning to interrupt him and reassure him that he held no such obligation, however her refusal was cut short by his words. Unlike her, it seemed he was quite comfortable with social niceties, and as she watched she could see a cleverness in him she had not noticed before. His plan was laid out clearly, which she greatly respected, and she would take a moment to ponder his request while sipping her tea before answering him. “Your hospitality is greatly appreciated, Lord Oda. As for your plans, I may be able to speak to the Lord Shogun and ensure he hears your request with favorable ears. If it is the wish of you and your clan to be protected and aid in the strengthening of our lands then I see no reason for him to deny you. The land you speak of would be easily acquired, as Tetsumura is being rebuilt there are not many who would lay claim to the area. And while I know little of construction crews, I know much of ensuring that protocol is followed, I am certain that this would be easily assured as well. I do not speak for the Lord Shogun of course, however I do currently have his ear as a sword and . . . diplomat.” She would pause to sip thoughtfully on her tea again before continuing in a less formal tone. “To speak plainly, I’m moderately skilled at any task that includes hard labor, swords, enforcing the will of the Shogun or threats. If you require any of those, I’m happy to offer my assistance. It was the reason for my excursion this morning - relearning these lands so as to ensure that we are all well protected.”

(140 exp)
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:56 pm

Oda would listen quietly as she spoke. Learning more of this person who had entered into his domain. Or at least that of which she claimed. He would need to pray later to the god of fortune if this were all true. To find someone noble, connected to the shogun and a diplomat of the village as well as a guardian was something difficult if you were searching. To come across them on a random mountain road so close to your home was another thing all together. Some part of him was suspicious of course but he had spent a long time forcing himself to break away from the clan traditions based on fear and suspicion. Paranoia ruling their lives. If anything she seemed genuine enough for him to trust her anyway. If he lived his life with fear and suspicion as the building blocks he would find himself troubled constantly. The fact that most of the others of this clan of his would not let go of those old traditions was difficult enough. They needed to thrive and in order to thrive, they would need to reconnect to the outside world. Despite all the autocracies it had done to them before.

As he sipped his tea and she finished speaking an old woman would emerge from the back of the house. Perhaps the first of the elders she had actually laid eyes on as most had perished long ago to the torment of their past. The older woman had white hair with wrinkles around her eyes and a smile that met them. She was quiet but in her hands she held some fur clothing and thick wool socks and pants. It was obviously of poorer make but it looked like it was hand stitched. She was silent but graceful. Silence took over the room as she sat the clothes over next to the guest. There was a sort of reverence about her that kept Oda from speaking. As if there was some great respect for their elders. She would pat Kiyoko's hand with her own almost lovingly and it would feel like all the warmth would return to her at once. As if this woman had told the cold to leave this one be. She smiled sweetly one more time before retiring to her room once more. Not a word spoken during the two minutes she was in the room.

Only once she was gone would Oda truly smile for the first time. He would look the way she had gone before returning his gaze back to Kiyoko. Feeling he should explain as he set he tea cup down and rested his hands on his knees. There was a warmth to the room now that wasn't there before or outside. Perhaps only the child she had seen held that kind of love. Still he would speak quietly. "That was my great grand mother. She will be a hundred and forty in a months time. She lived through the troubled history of our people and still she finds ways to accept others. It gives me hope we can do the same. However I fear that we will spend another hundred years fearing the outside if anything happens to us again. So I offer you this, if you would work with us, prove to them outsiders can be trusted and protect them as part of the village with your sword. I will always aid you in your time of need. Without hesitation or question. Help them believe in this shogun when others have used us before in the past. It is not an easy thing I ask but one that I must. "

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:34 am

Oda seemed attentive to her suggestions, and she would have continued speaking however the mood in the room changed. Kiyoko watched in awe as an elderly woman entered carrying some folded clothing. Everyone she had seen here so far had been quite young looking, and from what she knew of this clan to look aged must mean that this woman was incredibly old. It boggled her mind to think that this woman could very well be hundreds of years old. The history she must have lived through and the stories she could tell could probably fill thousands of books with ease. As the elderly woman placed the clothing next to Kiyoko and patted her hand, Kiyoko felt a warmth spread through her frozen limbs. She would look down at the hand that had just been touched and then back at the white haired woman, offering her a silent thank you in the form of a sincere smile. She noted that she wasn’t the only one being quiet for the moment, and she was pleased to see this type of reverence shown to the elders of this clan.

Once the woman had taken her leave of the sitting area Kiyoko was astonished to see Oda smile. He hadn’t looked unfriendly or miserable or anything, just very neutral and calculating. Now he appeared to be in a much more content mood, his explanation even bearing hints of a familial love she remembered from when she was small. A hundred and forty years was a terribly long time, and she marveled at the strength the woman she had just seen must possess to still be standing and smiling despite everything she’d lived through in that time.

Oda’s request was an interesting one, she would absolutely aid them, protect them and care for them. But could she, alone, prove that ‘outsiders’ were trustworthy? Perhaps, given enough time. Running her finger along the fur of the clothing she considered her answer carefully before giving it. A lifetime of fear and pain was difficult to overcome, and she couldn’t begin to imagine how she could help with that. Just as she couldn’t imagine a time when anyone would be able to convince her to trust shinobi. With her brows furrowed she answered slowly, clearly struggling to find the best words to use. “I will work with and protect you and your clan, and I require nothing in return, save that you and your people thrive. I will not turn down your aid should you offer it though. As for proving that outsiders are trustworthy, I am unsure how to do that. I am not. . . the most personable. . . person. I was schooled in many things, dealing with people was not exactly one of them. That being said, I am open to suggestions. I want to be able to prove that to them, I want your people to feel safe. So I suppose to answer directly, yes. I will do everything I can to help you, provided you can direct me in how best to interact with your people.”

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:38 pm

She would speak and offer her aid to him. With some hesitation to it. He would nod slowly as he returned to his stoic but calculating expression. Always considering everything behind those pearl white eyes. He was not playing games with the future of his clan. He wasn't even sure if anything he was doing was the right way of doing it. His father would offer advise if asked but otherwise Oda was expected to keep the clan moving forward on his own. A clan that fought the idea of progression and evolution. A new age was upon them and instead of acting like their ancestors, famous warriors of old, they were cowering beneath a cover of mist in a valley that barely sustained them. Shaking at shadows and telling the young only of the monsters they feared. It was a disease. Fear. It drove people to their demons and he would not let the villains haunting them in their heads determine their future. He would be their strength until they decided to stand up again. Until they could rise up and show some pride. He understood their fear but would not let his demons be stronger than him. He would fight to be something better. Something more.

He would take a breath and look to the tea a moment as she sounded so unsure. He would pause a moment before speaking quietly. "A tree does not need to do more than stand vigilant against the harsh sun to be useful as shade. My people are afraid of their own shadow so it is best to let those like me approach you first. As we gradually move to the village there will be needs to be met. If you make yourself available as the tree does to provide shade, if you reply to their cries for help how could they not learn to accept you? I can only lead the way for them but it will take an outsider proving their honor to truly inspire. If you hold to your word, a whole world will be open to my people. We are bigger than just one body, stronger than our demons. It is through our combined efforts that the world changes. It is up to us to make sure it changes for the better. However they will begin to whisper if we stay here too long. Allow me to walk you back to the village after you change?"

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:57 pm

Kiyoko considered Oda’s words carefully, before nodding in apparent agreement with his sentiment. She could agree to his request if that was all he asked. Proving her trustworthiness by merely behaving in a sincere manner was a simple task. Kiyoko had never been anything but a shining example of honesty. Though that was not always viewed as a positive trait and had at times caused some trouble, it was a skill she had practiced her whole life. While she had been many years and miles removed from her homeland, the teachings of the Samurai had always been her guiding star. “What you ask for is simple enough, I had feared that you wished for something grander than an example to be observed by your people, I am a simple warrior and I did not wish to disappoint you by promising something I had not the skill for. This I can do for you and yours, and I do hope that my actions can aid in alleviating the stress and fear unfairly saddled on your Clan.”

Her hand would move to pick up the clothing next to her as her eyes scanned the room for a suitable place to change as Oda suggested. “I thank you again for the clothing, it is more appreciated than I can properly express. Frankly, they are  beautiful.” She would smile as she posed her next question, that same awkward smile that showed disuse of the action. She had spent so much of her life in hiding, in fear, running; there had been little to smile about and so she just hadn’t done it, not nearly as often as one should. Though her smile was graceless, her voice was filled with sincerity and a hint of admiration. The clothing was simple enough, and yet she could see the skill and care with which it was made. A rare gift indeed, and one that she intended to return in kind. “I’ll change then, and will gladly accept the company for the walk back to the village.” Assuming she was directed to a place to put on the warm clothing she would do so and politely wait for Oda to begin the long walk to Tetsumura.

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Oda would nod as she agreed to do favors for his people. Likely the Shogun would look forward to this as well so he would look forward to that. She also accepted his company for the walk back which suited him since he wanted to start looking for available territory. Still he would rise and bow his head lightly before speaking up once more. "I shall await you outside while you prepare than. No one shall intrude until after we are away. If you will excuse me." He would turn as he collected his sword and leave her alone in their home. Trusting perhaps that she would not take anything not hers. Or perhaps it was more due to his sensory that he was so comfortable leaving her alone. Nothing could move in that house without him knowing of it. His sensory was something he didn't brag openly about as it wasn't too impressive. But for their small home it would do the trick. Still he would close the door behind him as he stepped out onto the porch to wait. His hands folded in front of him. His long blade held there horizontally as he seemed to be left deep in thought.

His father would glance over to him before letting out a chuckle. Which would gain an irritated glance from Oda before Oda returned to looking straight ahead. The man would seem to sink into his chair more as he relaxed despite the look. "Relax boy, You are simply asking her to act as a Samurai should. It seems to be within her nature. It isn't as if you are trying to bed the woman." Oda would click his tongue against the inside of his teeth and his father would chuckle again before returning to smoking his pipe. Once Kiyoko was ready he would open the door for her just before she reached it and close it behind her as she came outside. He would nod to his father before leading her from their porch towards the way they came. However as they began to leave the little girl from earlier would run up despite her mothers worried looks. She was holding a wreath made of assorted flowers. She held it up to Kiyoko for her to take and if she did the little girl would smile. "There....now you can be a princess too." Seemingly satisfied with that the little girl would go skipping back to her mother. Oda would smile and turn to begin walking up the road they had come from.

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:51 am

Kiyoko marvelled at the trust placed in her as she was left alone in Oda’s home. Being a practical person she quickly and efficiently disrobed whatever wouldn’t fit beneath her new clothing. As she pulled on the furs she couldn’t help but to feel a bit choked up. The fact that these people had been so kind to her, well most of them. She’d done nothing to deserve such kindness and generosity, and yet here it was. It made her heart ache for all the missed years amongst her own people. A lifetime spent with underhanded and manipulative people, who couldn’t have shown kindness if their lives had depended on it, it was almost too much. She knew she had to get her emotions under control, she hadn’t intended it but she was here as a representative of the Shogun now, and tears were not inspiring. Taking a shuddering breath she would practice the meditation technique her father Kosuke had taught her. She envisioned the bright white hot light of fire coursing through her with every breath, warming her and settling her spirit. After a few deep breaths she found she was more in control again, and after reattaching her sword to her side and gathering her belongings she would move to the door to exit the home.

She was caught off guard as the door swung open just as reached for the handle. She would cover up her surprise with a nod as she stepped onto the porch. Either he was incredibly perceptive or she was louder than she thought. She hoped it was the former. She would bow to the old man sitting on the porch and then follow after Oda. She was attempting to steel herself to the disapproving gazes of the people around her, when she was caught off guard for a second time. The small girl who had waved when they’d first arrived ran up to her holding what looked like a crown made of flowers. Her earlier efforts to manage her emotions came undone as she accepted the gift from the little girl, she felt a lump in her throat making the words “Thank you” come out strangely. Trying to blink away the tears that threatened to shatter her stoic visage she would take the flowers and place them on her head, smiling in the direction of the girl. Kiyoko would linger a moment before following after Oda, wanting to preserve the feeling of acceptance for as long as possible before carrying on. With a few quick steps she was able to catch up and keep pace with the man as they made their way out towards the road. “Your people are wonderful, I’m grateful to you for inviting me here. That girl, she said. . . is she a princess? Is that what she meant?”

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:18 pm

Oda would turn to see the woman catching up to him. He could see water in her eyes but he could also see she was attempting to contain it. He wouldn't press it but such raw emotion was encouraging. Too many people had grown cold over the years of training and surviving. He had never hoped for someone so interested in the purity of those around her. They were simple people with little to offer. Too often that had been a problem for outsiders. Everyone seeking something to gain. However as she caught up he would return to walking with her up the steep path leading back up out of the ravine and through the mist. The small farming village quickly fading from sight. Hidden and safe enough. Still he would shake his head and respond to her light heartedly. His voice amused at the question. "There are no royal blood members of our clan. We have never been royalty. Always the serving class. Though she is young and still likes to play pretend. I am sure most of the village plays along and treats her like the princess she pretends to be. The dreams of a young girl and all."

They would reach the top of the narrow path joining the wider road near where they had met. He would turn as he began walking towards the village as he had been there a couple of times now. He was a stoic and honest man. Something about him radiated confidence in both his leadership and his sword. He looked young but to anyone who had met with him he was the image of a samurai. Still standing next to him especially in furs was ideal protection from the cold. As if he defied even the harsh conditions of their nations. His pearl white eyes would look ahead as if he never had a need to reflect back where he had been. Willpower and determination were this mans strongest traits. Still he seemed to always be calculating. He would speak once more to her as he continued to move casually down the mountain the way she had come. "I appreciate you enjoying the company of my clan. With that said I will warn you once more. There are those who seek us. To enslave us for our blood. Our powers. Men who would torture even the little girl just for our healing abilities. They can not be allowed to do this. I will not allow it to happen again. I will kill any man who tries it. Despite their standing with the Shogun or other nations. I can only hope the Shogun, who appears honorable, will understand and support this."

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Kiyoko would reach a hand up to the floral crown on her head, a wistful smile on her face as she listened to Oda explain about the little girl. She could appreciate the innocence of playing pretend, she’d done much the same when she was small. “It’s a good dream.” Was all she said as she lowered her hand back to her side, sparing a glance back over her shoulder towards the small village. She would like to come back, return the kindness of these people. She’d wanted to anyway, but that small child had touched her heart. She wanted to ensure that she was safe, and that she could grow up in happiness and with good fortune.

It was a steep climb back up to the road, and Kiyoko was silent for most of it, focusing on her agreement she’d made with Oda. Watching him was like watching a living painting, his manner was calm, stoic even, but his eyes were shrewd. He had the look of a man who took his position seriously, always concerned for the well being of others. She did like that about him, it told of a great future between them. Listening to Oda’s warning Kiyoko set her jaw, attempting to keep control of her temper. “I will not have it. The Shogun’s goal is that rebuild the land, make it safe for all its people. Yours included. If anything happens, any threat, call on me. I will personally remove the head of anyone that attempts to hurt that little girl. Or any of you.” Her voice had a hard edge to it as she spoke, a righteous anger that spoke of similar past retribution. She had seen enough betrayal, enough wrong. She would not allow it to happen again.

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:37 pm

Oda would hear the anger in her voice and tilt his head a moment. He would pause as they found level ground. The snow melting around him. His white eyes looking to regard her a moment. The thought of his people being harmed angered her so. They had reached the base of the mountain path and it was mostly just a wide road now. Trees and snow on either side of them but the mountain to their backs. They were a fair distance from the small farming village now and he preferred it that way. His white eyes seemed to study her a moment before he would turn to face her entirely. So often there was a monster hidden under the eyes of those who would wield steel. Even in the service of others there was blood to be shed. Would she mourn those she struck down more or less than those she couldn't save? He knew all too well the rage that overtook someone when they drew steel. He had taken life himself before and burned through his enemies. He felt she would likely do the same. Driven by anger against those who would gain through the torment of others.

"Are we the prey or are we the hunters? For me and my own it is difficult to tell. If you would entertain me a moment though, I would like to see for myself your capabilities and in return demonstrate my own. However I suggest we use sticks as swords might leave a more lasting impression."

He would move to the side of the road as he hung his sword on a rather large branch. If she accepted his wish to spar and demonstrate the skills of each other he would glance about himself before finding two sticks roughly the shape and length of an Odachi and whatever weapon she was holding. Idly he would toss her her own. Moving back to the center of the road and finding a stance five meters away. He would assume a wide footed stance with his left side turned to him with a two handed grip slightly above his head. The tip of his stick pointed at her with the blade side up. It looked like a strong defensive stance yet it held openings. When he spoke there was the slightest shift of red across his pale white eyes.

"Do not hold concern for hurting me. Short of taking an eye, you can not permanently damage me. It is a simple fact, not a statement against your skill."

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:12 pm

Kiyoko’s anger was quickly abated by the suggestion that they spar. She would raise an eyebrow questioningly, and then lower it again as he suggested a non-lethal weapon. She didn’t consider herself to be a master swordsman, but she was better than average and the last thing she wanted to do was cut down her newly made ally. Then again, she knew little of this man, and it was entirely possible that the fight would not go in her favour. She was also wearing new clothing and she wasn’t sure how well she would be able to move in it just yet. Sticks did seem like a better option, bruising was easily mended after all. She watched as he hung his sword from a branch and with the care usually reserved for small and fragile creatures she would remove her own katana and hang it next to his. “A friendly spar then. It has been a while since I’ve had one of those.”

She would catch the stick tossed towards her, taking a moment to get a feel for its weight and length. It was rougher than she would like against her palm, but it felt sturdy and decently balanced. For a stick. She would grin as he told her not to worry about hurting him. In truth, she hadn’t been worried about that since the suggestion to not use actual weaponry. She supposed that if she tried hard enough that a simple stick could be a lethal weapon, but it would take an amount of creativity and brutality that she thought would probably need to be coaxed out with a most despicable villain. She had no intention of trying to hurt Oda, but fighting him sounded glorious. She’d not had the chance to fight against traditional weapons since she was small, mainly having to combat the less honorable kunais and shurikens. “Don’t worry, you can keep your eyes.” She would laugh heartily, she loved sword fighting, and it would come through in her demeanor.  

With a polite bow she would take her ‘sword’ in both her hands, her right hand further forward, she would match Oda’s stance. She would plant both feet firmly, her right slightly ahead of her left and shoulder width apart, bending her knees and settling her weight into her core. The sword she held out in front of her though, angled slightly upwards ready to deflect any incoming blow, even one from above. Now all she had to do was breathe and wait. His weapon was longer than hers and so he had the advantage of distance, but hers was smaller and would hopefully allow her to strike more quickly.

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:40 pm

Oda would smile and nod to her suggestion that she wouldn't take his eyes. But that was the last of his attempts at civility before the spar. He allowed his face to return to it's stoic position once more. She mimicked his stance and her eyes locked onto his. Around them the pace the snow was melting began to rapidly increase before suddenly there was a moment to indicate the start. A single pile of snow clinging to a branch had been melting and now it didn't have the ability to cling on any longer. The glob of snow would fall as if in slow motion to their side. Finally crashing into the ground with a crunching noise and thus it began. Oda was the first to charge forward to test her defenses. Using his range to his advantage it seemed as he would swing with both hands at the exact length of his sword for a simple swipe at her forward shoulder. Such a strike was strangely easy to avoid for virtually anyone. He hadn't stepped into the strike but instead made an open attack. No feint or guard up. It was as if he was inviting her to avoid it easily and step in to attack.

To be fair Oda was likely a little weaker than her but he held a heavy advantage here. Sticks had a tendency to hurt and a strike usually forced someone to back off quickly from the pain or fear of a cracked bone. He wasn't underestimating her strength but testing the waters in his own way. The truth was the sticks were not durable enough to truly hurt him. Her strength however he was curious about. To see how she may react to such a simple attack, to see if she would be bated into stepping in and dealing a counter attack. His white eyes watching her movements and waiting for it. Surely he couldn't be such an amateur. Even if he was using a stick he could do better than that with even the most basic of sword training. He was up to something. Truthfully though this was his fighting style. Leaving an opening for a counter attack against him because he knew his regeneration powers could take it. If she struck back at him his corresponding arm would raise as she did to absorb the attack with his bare arm. A loud crack echoing out as if she may have broken something. However he would barely wince in response. As if it was true, that she couldn't break through him regardless of how hard she hit.

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:43 pm

The anticipation that built in the quiet moments before violence was intoxicating. Or so Kiyoko had always found. There was a clarity and peace in those few seconds that could be found almost nowhere else, and she savoured it. She heard the snow melting around them, dripping from trees slowly so it was no surprise when a larger clump of snow fell to the ground with a thump. As though the noise was the signal, Oda sprang into action, swinging with his weapon at her forward shoulder. It was a curiously amateur attack and not one that she expected from a man who carried his actual weapon so comfortably. She felt that it was more a test than anything, he hadn’t any followup for the attack, his stance didn’t move. She didn’t need to block or deflect the attack, a simple turn of her body left her shoulder out of reach of the attack.

She was certain it was a bait, but considering there was little to lose from taking it she would use the momentum from her turn and snap forward to land a blow against the man’s torso. As Oda’s arm came up to block the strike she was certain she’d break the man’s arm. She wasn’t hitting as hard as she could, but she was stronger than her tiny frame would suggest. His reaction did not indicate a break however, it almost looked as though she’d missed, if you took his facial expression as evidence. He had said that he would be difficult to damage, and now she believed him. She would attempt to disengage and return to her beginning stance, silently acknowledging the series of attacks as round one. If she was allowed to disengage she would hold her weapon up again, awaiting his next attack, preparing to deflect the next one rather than move out of the way.

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Oda would feel the crack of her attack on his arm, it had actually fractured his forearm but it was healed too quickly to matter. His white eyes studied her as she realized the truth to his words. If she was holding back perhaps now she would understand there was no need. The strike had been quick however. If he had not already been moving to block it he may not have been able to. Truth be told he could tell she was both faster and stronger than him. Still he wouldn't simply crumble because of the difference in their strength. What he had over most his enemies was stamina and durability. Truthfully he could take those hits all day. When she hit him though it was like hitting solid concrete. As if he was built out of steel. Truthfully his body was both stronger than the average warriors and held regenerative capabilities. He saw the recognition of his abilities there and smiled as if he was enjoying himself. A flash of red in his eyes again as he allowed her to back off and reposition. He wanted to see how she intended to handle him now that she knew how durable he was.

As she backed up and returned to her form, His own would change. He was moving more seriously now as he stepped forward and squared his shoulders facing her. His long blade held now at his right side with his knee's bent. Blade upwards about shoulder level as his white eyes looked down the blade. His gaze held a bit of seriousness to it now. Not that it didn't before but something about his demeanor was different. He wasn't underestimating her. He was going to push himself to compete. This time he would suddenly dash forward and thrust at her gut in a stab using his range difference. If she attempted to deflect it though she would find no resistance. Instead he would use the power of her deflection to further increase his spin as he slashed at her opposing hip. Using her own power to boost his speed to match hers. Pressing on her while giving up on defense entirely. He didn't seem to care if she struck him. Not that he was fearless but his power gave him the edge in this spar. His clans power that others had coveted. Truthfully he was a bastard for this. Challenging her to a spar she could not win against him with sticks alone.

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:31 pm

Kiyoko could not see how to win this, she’d landed a solid blow on the man’s arm - and nothing came of it. She could probably beat on him all day and have nothing to show for it but a tired and sore sword arm. It didn’t matter if she won, it was a spar but her competitive nature would quickly become frustrated were she not to make any progress. She also knew that if she were hit she would not be so unharmed in the end. She could heal it of course but that would not make it less unpleasant. She was curious about the strength of his swing, along with being stronger than she appeared, she was also hardier. She could take a hit gracefully, and it might not even be that bad. She would breathe in and out once, her subconscious taking in the sight of Oda’s eyes flashing red, making a mental note to ask about it after they were finished.

His change in stance concerned her, she did not know the limitations of his weapon and it seemed she would find out through experience. As he thrust his weapon towards her belly she would instinctively deflect the ‘blade’ off to the side, only realizing her mistake as she committed to the action. There was no resistance, this was a feint and she’d fallen for it. His weapon struck hard on her hip, causing her to grunt loudly in pain. With a quick step back with the injured leg she would bring her sword up and then down again making two quick strikes; one aimed at his ribs and the other along the side of his thigh. She knew full well it wouldn’t matter how hard or where she hit him, but she didn’t have it in her to give up.

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:57 pm

Oda would feel his hit connect and she would back up from him but he was only fast enough to bring his sword up to stop her from connecting with his ribs. So it turned out he did protect his vitals at least. Still the strike to his thigh was too quick for him to stop and drove his foot back as it dug into the ground to withstand it. It hurt but the pain was fading rapidly. Still it was like he was hitting concrete when he hit her. She had forced him to defend and still pushed him back off of her. So far though it had been a series of reactions to his attacks. He would take a breath to steady himself as he gave her a couple of meters. The heat in the area had picked up when she hit him so much that the cold breeze was likely a bit of a relief. The simple fur though didn't seem to limit her movement much. If anything it acted as a bit of padding against his blow. Still though he nodded to her as he indicated he was impressed by the speed and power of her strikes.

For now he spread his feet. His sword held out directly in front of him now with both hands. The point directed at her as his grip was near his waist. The length of it giving him a chance to keep up with the difference in speed. He was using it to judge direction of attack. Either from his left or right in order to counter. If she did charge him the moment she chose a direction from the tip of his blade he would step into that direction and attempt to push her attack back with a strong thrust before attempting to bring his handle down on the same hip he had hit before. She was likely to favor it so he would target it. See if he could get her to submit before her strikes found either his head or torso. If she landed a strike on a vital, even he would have to admit she would have won the encounter. However she still seemed to be holding back. Perhaps she was worried a head shot would leave him damaged. He would need to press her to get her to have to aim at his vital spots.

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:01 pm

Kiyoko was overheating. Only her second blow had landed, the block was impressive on his part. But she found that it was becoming difficult to concentrate with the warm clothing on. As Oda moved back she would take the moment to remove the fur clothing from her upper body, she still had her thin desert garb on but she was far too warm to be effective with the fur and the infernal heat coming from her opponent. With an apologetic bow she would step to the side and hang her clothing next to their swords, returning to her defensive stance. Sweat had built up along her spine as she had fought, and now that the breeze could reach her she cooled to a comfortable temperature quickly. Oda’s ability to soak all of her blows was troublesome, it meant that she couldn’t get him to yield. She could perhaps disarm him, that might do it.

She stared at him as he took his next stance. She knew she needed to attack him, she could defend forever, but simply waiting was not the answer here. Were it an actual duel with live steel, patience would be the correct course of action. The way he held his weapon now would make that difficult though, such a long weapon was irksome. Her best choice was to get inside his guard, with a fire in her eyes she would sprint forward and slightly to his left hoping to advance while protecting her already injured hip although she was willing to take a hit in order to land the blow on him. Her intention was to step inside his guard and slash upwards along his torso but as she changed directions to step into him he would step to meet her. His weapon pushed off her attack and she roared as it slammed into her hip again. With the pain blinding her she would spin out away from the weapon, throwing an elbow as she went and bringing her weapon around to the back of his head.

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Oda would feel his attack land. He wouldn't push the advance as in doing so he would plausibly cause a lasting injury. Even in sparring one had to show restraint and caution in order to keep their allies and friends from enduring a lasting pain. Not that he couldn't do anything to heal her but he did not wish to reveal that trait of their clan so openly or so easily. He was a simple man and liked to keep it that way. However years of stories of torment for his clan elders had led him to be cautious when revealing his ability to share his power. As such the hesitation would cost him. Had he pressed the attack he may have won that initial bout. However he was not willing to do so and as such he left a dangerous opening. This close to him her shorter sword held the advantage. He would need to increase the space between them if he were to prevail. So he would shift his footing to back up. However her roar of pain caught his attention and he looked up in time to see her spin but not in time to defend against it.

With a loud crack she slammed the stick on the back of his head and sent him sprawling forward. His mind danced with lights across his vision as he stumbled forward. Barely keeping the grip on his own weapon. The first thing to come back was his sensation of pain. Then a bit of moisture on the back of his head. The pain was already fading but his hand would reach back to touch the moist spot before bringing it back around as his vision returned. Blood soaked onto the tips of his two fingers from a small gash where she had split his scalp. He would crack his neck and turn to look at her before smiling. The gash already healed and only a bit of blood in his hair as any evidence of it. He would plant the end of his stick into the dirt and let out a breath as he leaned on it. His red eyes flashing for only a moment more before returning to the calm, pearl white from before. When he spoke his voice was as calm as ever as if he wasn't worried about the heavy strike he had just received from her.

"Well done. You won that round. I can not deny that would have been a killing blow in real battle. It is up to you if you wish to continue but I think it is safe to determine you as the superior swordsman here."

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:55 pm

As soon as she had thrown the blow to the back of Oda’s head she knew it had been too much. They were sparring after all, not actually trying to kill each other. She heard the sickening smack of her weapon as it made contact and she immediately pulled away, letting the stick hang loosely in her right hand. She’d been overcome with rage as a second blow had landed on her hip, the pain knocking all sense and discipline from her. She saw him reach to touch the back of his head and was horrified when she saw his fingers return into view bloodied. She had hit him much harder than she had intended and she was ashamed.

Tossing the stick she held off to the side she would bow deeply, begging his forgiveness for her lack of control. “My apologies Lord Oda. I did not intend to hit you like that.” His words were calm, and he did not seem to be concerned about his injury, but Kiyoko was mortified. The first time she had chosen to spar in years and within four sword strikes she had managed to draw blood from the man she had promised that she could be trusted with his people's safety. She was glad for the distance they had travelled from his village, it would have been far worse had any of them seen that. How could a woman so quick to anger be trusted to be anything but violent and a liability to them?

The compliment he gave her barely registered as she frantically thought of a way to make up for it. He was gracious and calm, but she could hear her father Kosuke chiding her for her temper. He’d always said it would be her downfall, that it would lead to her suffering. With guilt splashed across her features she would rise from her bow and look at his face. “I can heal you, if you need. I have a temper and that’s no excuse. I would understand if you wish for me to be punished for my lack of discipline. We can go to the Shogun to speak of it.”

The Diplomat:
    Oda
    Oda

Post by Oda Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:07 pm

Oda would raise his eyebrows in surprise as she began to bow deeply and apologize to him. Seeking to rectify what had transpired as if some great offense had been dealt. Truly he wondered how much she had struggled in her life that a bump on the noggin during a spar would garner such a reaction. He would place both hands on the 'hilt' of his stick and stand there with it planted in the ground in front of him. He was not unfamiliar with an over reaction. His people acted frantic over the smallest of things. Including the debate awaiting him when he returned home later that day. He had learned that to be patient and listen would do him more good than not. He would allow her to get her tangent out of the way as he watched with raised eye brows and an amused face. She would offer to heal him and even go to the shogun with him if he wished. He would shake his head quietly at the thought with a chuckle. Truly she did not know the capabilities he held. So he would speak quietly and calmly. If she was to be frantic he would be the calm to bring her down from it.

"Relax yourself now. I am unharmed. Tell me, when we were fighting did you not find it odd that I would step into strikes and shrug them off? Perhaps you simply thought me durable? I am the clan head of the Hinode and our blood runs strong in my veins. In a real battle you would not be capable of putting me down short of aiming for the head or heart. The injury on my head was one of the only two ways you could have possibly have won that spar. Which I will remind you I asked for. Now collect yourself if you will. If you wish you may even examine my head for yourself and see the wound is gone."

Renown:
    Stats:

Kiyoko
    Kiyoko

Character File

Post by Kiyoko Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:01 am

Kiyoko instantly calmed at the word ‘relax’, she had been so worried that she had offended the man and hurt him that she hadn’t bothered to check if that was true. As she looked up at the man’s face she could see the amusement in it, it made her smile shyly. She’d been foolish it seemed, again. She did have a habit of being too impulsive, sometimes benignly and other times much more tragically. This time it appeared that her impulsiveness was not going to end in tragedy, which she was very thankful for. She carried around far too much guilt, she knew that was true, but when pressured she couldn’t help but take on more. It was why she had been gone for so long, guilt, fear, regret. She had much to atone for, but this was not one of her failings.

He was correct of course, he’d even told her that she couldn’t permanently damage him. Taking him up on his offer she would move over to Oda and examine where she had struck the back of his head. There was a bit of blood but other than that he looked completely fine. She stared at the spot where his head should have been cut open and would breathe out a sigh. He wasn’t hurt, at least not now. Moving to face him again she would look at him questioningly. “You’re not damaged, but were you hurt? I don’t mean to pry if it’s private but I must admit I am curious. A blow like that would have at least knocked me down, possibly knocked me unconscious. How are you able to withstand that?” Her voice held true concern, and she didn’t know whether a yes or no would be a more acceptable answer to her. If it didn’t hurt, was he at risk of seriously damaging himself? And if it did, it was almost like a curse.

The Diplomat:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:18 am